Home Wingssail Home Email Fred & Judy Map of our travels

Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Wings' Sailing Wisdom

I loved reading the sailing wisdom on Latitude's web site, Here is some of our own.

Fickle Feelings about Sailing:
When I am at sea I just can't wait to get to shore.

But a week or two in port...
I just have to get back to sea.

I don't know what's wrong with me but my grandfather had it too.

Mike Bombyk's Foredeck decree:
I don't know about the back of the boat, but the front of the boat is going to do a gybe-set.

Variations of Murphy's Law.
The only way to get some more wind is put up the biggest sail.
The only way to force that squall to dodge away is to get down all your sails, immediately.
The only way to guarantee some really big breeze going downwind: leave the 1.5 oz kite on the dock.
The only way to stop the rain from coming is put on your foul weather gear.

Philospohy of Spare Parts.
I'd rather have the inconvenience of needing that part and not having it one day sometime in the future than the inconvenience of carrying it around 365 days per year until then.

Argument against that too heavy boat:
Don't bother with just getting a full keel, extra heavy, crab-crusher, just build a concrete block house and stay home. Much safer.

Argument against that too heavy boat:
You want to be OK if you hit a reef? How about, don't hit the reef?

Why own a boat?
I bought it so I could drive.

Joliga John.
In response to my exclamation: "John, we've got to get you to the hospital or you're going to die on this boat!"

John's answer: "There's worse places to die."

Joliga John.
After surviving two man-overboard accidents while single handing:
"You know, I really don't like the water that much."

Cruising Philosophy:
Yeah we want to get to Europe, its right at the top of our list. I'm sure we'll be there real soon, probably less than ten years.

Wing's lack of cruising modifications:
This boat is a great sailing boat, but it isn't that luxurious, or fancy. The only thing it has going for it is great sailing performance. If we ruin that, we'll have nothing.

Cruising Philosophy:
We aren’t on a journey; we’re just living on the boat in some different places.

Cruising Philosophy:
We like to arrive clean, well rested, and first

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home